Skip to main content

Week 6 Story: All a Bunch of Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus: Pixy.org

Story: The year is 1693, the Sanderson sisters are going about there normal day to day activities when suddenly Mary's nose starts tingling. " I smell a child" she tells her sisters. The three sisters become excited, they have been unable to steal the youth of a child for over a year. They get dressed grab their broom sticks and leave the house. They traveled only a mile, before noticing a camp of five sleeping teenage boys and one sleeping woman. They hated using boys for the potion but the boys were young, and the witches were desperate. As the sisters continued to the boys, attempting to not make a sound, one of the boys awoke. This boys name was Billy. Billy had heard the stories of the witches and he was prepared to fight them to protect his mother and brothers. As Mary and Sarah fought Billy Winnie became intrigued. She had fallen in love with Billy, and couldn't bare to steal his youth, so she instructed her sisters to stop. 

Billie admired Winnies restraint and they began dating. However, it wasn't far into the relationship when Billy fell in love with Sarah. When Winnie found out about the betrayal she poisoned Billy and sewed his mouth shut, so that he would "keep her secrets, even in death" 

Author's Note: I used Tiny Tale 54 from the Mahabharata as my source for this story, as well as the movie Hocus Pocus. I changed the rakshasas to the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus, and I changed Bhima to Billy Butcherson from Hocus Pocus. I tried to keep the plot relatively the same, One of the witches falls in love and helps the man. However I kept the siblings of Winnie alive, unlike in the original story, So that I could tie together the story of Billy Butcherson that is originally told in the movie. 

Bibliography: Laura Gibbs, Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata 

Comments

  1. Hello Brooklynn! Like you, I also chose to read Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata. Therefore, I have also read story 54, "Bhima Fights a Rakshasa". However, I have not seen the movie Hocus Pocus. Because of this, I was not familiar with many of the aspects of the story. With that said though, it was still a fun read and I think you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooklynn! I also chose to read the tiny tales of the Mahabharata. I find myself being able to more easily comprehend them and they just seem more enjoyable to me. I am not a huge Hocus Pocus fan, but you did a great job explaining in your author's note who you changed the characters to and why and that was really helpful. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooklynn! I really appreciate your creativity you showed by tying the story to the film Hocus Pocus. I personally was terrified by the film as a child and have never enjoyed it but I highly enjoyed your tale. I thought your author's note was extremely clear and helped me understand how what you wrote tied in with the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brooklynn,
    Your story was so creative! The way you blended the story of Bhima to the film was very well done! Your author's work was very informative. I was wondering what secrets does Winnie have that she had to shut Billy's mouth? Why was she keeping secrets from her sisters? I am very intrigued! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Comment Picture: Wikimedia Link to my Portfolio

Introduction to Me!

Hello! My name is Brooklynn and I am currently a Freshman, sophomore, and junior at OU. Beginning the summer before my junior year of high school I began taking concurrent classes at Northern Oklahoma college, in order to get some of my basic courses out of the way. By the time my senior year rolled around I was on track to actually receive my associates degree 20 days before my high school diploma. In March of 2020 my plans, as well as everyone else's, took a turn. The dreaded COVID took away both of the days I had worked so hard for. Although both of my graduations were taken away from me, I still finished the year and received my degree in Biology Pre-Med, I then went on to attended OU. Being that this year was my first year of college out of high school, I began as a "freshman",  starting with 60 credit hours classifying me as a junior, and changing my major to Psychology Pre-Med now puts me as a sophomore. All very confusing, I know! I have always been the type of pe

Microfiction Stories

End of the World: Pixabay Population Control: The year is 2070. The world's population is 12 billion and continues to grow. The United States government was overthrown only a few years prior and all of their secrets have been released. A cure for cancer had been found in the year 2011 only to kept away, But that wasn't the only population control plan found during the revolution. The United States had been poisoning us for years, causing the human lifespan to be drastically shorter than it could. Once all of these measures were stopped the death rate dropped drastically and the human lifespan increased by what is estimated to be 50 years. But now we are running out of room. The Sequel:  The scientist have estimated the world only has a few months left before it becomes completely unlivable. Fresh Water has become almost nonexistent and climate change has made growing crops impossible. China has found a way to send people to Mars. So now we must all fight to get on one of rocket