Skip to main content

Week 11 Story

Drive in: Wikimedia


 The Teenager Who Couldn't Stop Talking:

"Whatever you do, don't make a sound" my twin sisters said in unison as we pulled into the drive in theater. I had begged them to let me go to the "R" rated movie with them the whole week and they finally agreed. I loved hanging out with my older sisters, they always tried to make me feel included even though I am younger than them. The only problem is I am only 13 so I am not old enough to get into the movie without a parent present. Because of my age, my sisters had hid me in the floorboard of the backseat with a load of pillows, blankets, and snacks. I could hear the ticket booth worker talking to my sisters. They asked for my sisters' IDs and explained that they had busted over 10 underage kids trying to sneak in. They all laughed and began to make fun of the "stupid" kids who had been caught. I began to feel my heart beating out of my chest and I felt the air under blankets getting thinner. I thought about the amount of trouble I would get into if my mom was called to come get me. When I felt the car ease forward pass the ticket booth I lifted the pillows and blankets off and asked if we were in yet. This was a huge mistake. The ticket booth worker had only asked my sisters to move up to allow room for more cars in the back of the line. We had not made it in and I had blown my cover. Now they would never let me in. My sisters called our mom to come pick me up while they continued into the theater. As I waited at the ticket booth I felt embarrassed. I should have just kept my moth shut and I would have made it in. 

Author's Note: 

I based my story off of the Jataka Tale "The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking." In the Jataka Tale there is a talkative turtle who makes friends with two geese. When it is time for the geese to fly back home they offer to take the turtle along. The turtle however can not fly so instead they have the turtle hold on to a stick with his mouth while they hold on to both ends of the stick in their mouths. The only way for this plan to work is if the turtle doesn't talk because if he does he would fall to his death. When flying over a group of children, the turtle overheard them laughing at him and when he opened his mouth to fight back he fell and died. In my story I turned the animals into humans who happen to be sisters. I used the age requirement at the theater to represent the wings of the geese because The two older sisters were old enough but the younger one was not.  

Bibliography: The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking:  Ellen C. Babbitt

Comments

  1. Clever story, Brooklynn! I don't know the truth to this story, but it really makes me wish I had older siblings. I am the oldest in my family, so I never had siblings to beg and bug for things that weren't for people of my age. In reality, I'm the one my siblings beg! Funny turn of events. The story relates identically to the turtle and the birds acted, and I'm glad that in this story you were just sent home from the movie theatre and not dropped from hundreds of feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switching the story from a turtle and some geese to three sisters was a nice touch, and I also liked that you told it from a first-person perspective. It makes the whole thing feel a bit more visceral, I guess. The only thing I can think to add would be maybe a line about the younger sister wanting to say something about not being one of those "stupid kids" - mostly to bring it more in line with the original story, but that's totally up to you. Great work either way (and I'm glad the younger sister didn't wind up falling a long distance at the end of this one!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Comment Picture: Wikimedia Link to my Portfolio

Introduction to Me!

Hello! My name is Brooklynn and I am currently a Freshman, sophomore, and junior at OU. Beginning the summer before my junior year of high school I began taking concurrent classes at Northern Oklahoma college, in order to get some of my basic courses out of the way. By the time my senior year rolled around I was on track to actually receive my associates degree 20 days before my high school diploma. In March of 2020 my plans, as well as everyone else's, took a turn. The dreaded COVID took away both of the days I had worked so hard for. Although both of my graduations were taken away from me, I still finished the year and received my degree in Biology Pre-Med, I then went on to attended OU. Being that this year was my first year of college out of high school, I began as a "freshman",  starting with 60 credit hours classifying me as a junior, and changing my major to Psychology Pre-Med now puts me as a sophomore. All very confusing, I know! I have always been the type of pe

Microfiction Stories

End of the World: Pixabay Population Control: The year is 2070. The world's population is 12 billion and continues to grow. The United States government was overthrown only a few years prior and all of their secrets have been released. A cure for cancer had been found in the year 2011 only to kept away, But that wasn't the only population control plan found during the revolution. The United States had been poisoning us for years, causing the human lifespan to be drastically shorter than it could. Once all of these measures were stopped the death rate dropped drastically and the human lifespan increased by what is estimated to be 50 years. But now we are running out of room. The Sequel:  The scientist have estimated the world only has a few months left before it becomes completely unlivable. Fresh Water has become almost nonexistent and climate change has made growing crops impossible. China has found a way to send people to Mars. So now we must all fight to get on one of rocket