Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: Bird Brothers

Story: There once were two bird brothers. There names were Jatayu and Sampati. They loved to fly together across the sky, they sometimes even raced.  One day they decided to race to the sun. Jatayu and Sampati had been competing all their lives, they were good matches for each other. As One brother increased speed, the other increased more. Suddenly Sampati began to feel the heat of the sun, he realized that going any further would be dangerous to his brother and himself. Sampati yielded and yelled for his brother to stop and turn around, Jatayu, believing this was all a trick for Sampati to beat him in the race, continued. Before thinking, Sampati raced in front of his brother, spreading his wings as far as possible to protect his brother from the sun, but Sampati had gotten to close, his wings were seared by the heat and he feel to the ground. Jatayu realized the reality of situation and began flying towards the ground to look for his brother. Jatayu spent many days and many nights searching for his brother, but with no success. He began to come to the conclusion that his brother may be lost forever. This upset Jatayu, Sampati had been his flying companion and best friend for his entire life, he was unsure of how to continue with his life without him. The sad truth was he would never see his brother again, Sampati had survived the fall, but had lost his ability to fly. Without his ability to obtain a "birds-eye" view he was unaware of the direction of his home, causing him to forever travel in the wrong direction.

Author's Note: I used Tiny Tale - 111. The Story of Sampati and Jatayu- as a source for this story. I kept most of the plot of this story the same, however I added more information as to why the brothers never saw each other again. I believe that the origin story gives little details on this matter.

Bibliography: Laura Gibbs, Tiny Tales from Ramayana


Bird Brothers: SnappyGoat

Comments

  1. Hey Brooklynn!

    The story of Jatayu and Sampati also stuck out to me when I was reading Tiny Tales and I found myself actually hoping to learn more about them. I really like how you fleshed out their actually quite tragic story. I thought your details really added more depth and emotion to the relationship between the two. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey (again) Brooklynn.
    Nice work on the story - I particularly appreciate the added details at the end. Nothing drives me quite as insane as a story that feels unfinished, or leaves too many questions unanswered. It's like a television show cancelled before the last season can wrap everything up.
    I've noticed a lot of the stories we're reading in this course (unsurprisingly) have several parallels in other mythologies. Did this one remind you of the story of Icarus and Daedalus?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Comment Picture: Wikimedia Link to my Portfolio

Introduction to Me!

Hello! My name is Brooklynn and I am currently a Freshman, sophomore, and junior at OU. Beginning the summer before my junior year of high school I began taking concurrent classes at Northern Oklahoma college, in order to get some of my basic courses out of the way. By the time my senior year rolled around I was on track to actually receive my associates degree 20 days before my high school diploma. In March of 2020 my plans, as well as everyone else's, took a turn. The dreaded COVID took away both of the days I had worked so hard for. Although both of my graduations were taken away from me, I still finished the year and received my degree in Biology Pre-Med, I then went on to attended OU. Being that this year was my first year of college out of high school, I began as a "freshman",  starting with 60 credit hours classifying me as a junior, and changing my major to Psychology Pre-Med now puts me as a sophomore. All very confusing, I know! I have always been the type of pe

Microfiction Stories

End of the World: Pixabay Population Control: The year is 2070. The world's population is 12 billion and continues to grow. The United States government was overthrown only a few years prior and all of their secrets have been released. A cure for cancer had been found in the year 2011 only to kept away, But that wasn't the only population control plan found during the revolution. The United States had been poisoning us for years, causing the human lifespan to be drastically shorter than it could. Once all of these measures were stopped the death rate dropped drastically and the human lifespan increased by what is estimated to be 50 years. But now we are running out of room. The Sequel:  The scientist have estimated the world only has a few months left before it becomes completely unlivable. Fresh Water has become almost nonexistent and climate change has made growing crops impossible. China has found a way to send people to Mars. So now we must all fight to get on one of rocket